2019 Information COMING SOON.
- Broadband Accessibility
Universal and affordable access to broadband is a key economic driver for Allegany and Garrett counties. Working together we can close the connectivity gaps in the region by developing innovative policies and programs to subsidize the infrastructure cost to expand broadband coverage. This approach will better position Allegany and Garrett counties to support existing businesses and attract and retain new business.
- Outdoor Recreation
Geographically, aesthetically and recreationally, the outdoors is what differentiates Allegany and Garrett counties from the rest of the state. With 150,000 acres of publically accessible land comprised of parks, forests, and lakes – our region offers exceptional outdoor recreation opportunities year-round.
- Allegany County Specifics
- River Park Project: Funding to support an engineering site plan for a new recreational park that would provide access to the North Branch of the Potomac River in Cumberland
- Wills Mountain Project: Funding to fast track this state park – demolition of burned commercial building/Artmor Plastics, development
- Garrett County Specifics
- Garrett Trails: Funding to finish Phase II of the Meadow Mountain Trail. This project will connect Otto Lane to New Germany Road in Garrett County, allowing bicyclists to access the trail from I-68 to Route 495 – a 15 mile continuous bike ride.
- Youghiogheny River Bridge: Funding to work with the Army Corps of Engineers to build a bridge across the Youghiogheny River to complete the river crossing on the Eastern Continental Loop.
- Feasibility Study: Funding for a study to access the Jennings Brothers Rail Bed that goes, extending from the Pennsylvania to the Maryland lines and along the Casselman River, to provide an additional connection to the Great Allegheny Passage.
- State Lakes Protection and Restoration Fund
The Act passed in 2017. A funding mechanism is needed that would put $3 million per year into the Fund. There are sixteen (16) State owned lakes throughout Maryland that are covered by this Act, several of which are in Allegany & Garrett Counties.